Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Rooney

  Rooney played a pivotal role in United's stunning 8-2 annihilation of Arsenal at Old Trafford on Sunday. The England forward curled home free-kicks either side of the interval before completing his latest hat-trick eight minutes from the end of an astonishing rout. His first effort saw him become the latest man to score 150 times for United. By the end he had overtaken Ruud van Nistelrooy as the 10th most prolific player in Red Devils' history. MANY MORE Still aged just 25, Rooney now has Charlton's 249 in his sights. "It is always a great feeling to score," he said. "Now I have over 150 goals for a club like United and hopefully there are many more to come. "I am delighted with the way it is going. I worked hard in pre-season. I have started well and the team have started great. "I was aware I was one off 150 before the game. I asked how many Bobby Charlton scored. Giggsy (Ryan Giggs) said I had another 100 to go. That is a target. Hopefully I will do it in the next few years." Rooney's efforts brought an end to a quite amazing day as the city of Manchester put north London in its place and sent out a clear warning where the power of English football is now housed - not that Sir Alex Ferguson is quite ready to dismiss allcomers just yet. "It is only three games," he said. "We have a long way to go to get through winter but we have a strong squad. "Injuries can play a part in this league. Manchester City have a very strong, experienced squad. You can never rule out Chelsea and Liverpool are starting to come good now after spending a lot of money. But in eight months' time, you don't know."

No comments: